Evermore Darkly

The domain of those to post discussion on things in general and about Cradle of Filth
zeroumus0
Warlocks Arse

14 Sep 2011, 13:26 #1

Is it strange that I wasn't interested in this EP until I saw the artwork? The sample of Summer Dying Fast from Midnight in the Labyrinth is enticing too.

Also, Dani's new haircut, and Paul doesn't age: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=162016

Saremaion
Vampire Mess

18 Sep 2011, 14:03 #2

Haha! It's strange how Dani manages to look more idiotic each year Image Whereas, as you said, Paul just don't seem to change.
This is the first time I actually hear of the EP. The cover's an improvement but still too computery or photoshoppy to my taste. 

zeroumus0
Warlocks Arse

22 Nov 2011, 23:27 #3

So I ended up buying this, and it's absolutely worth getting. The audio disc is okay, with a fairly good new track. The demos and alternate versions basically make an abridged version of the album, as they aren't especially different from the release cuts. Summer Dying Fast from Midnight in the Labyrinth is decent, though the transgression into a fully orchestrated environment actually highlights the simplistic songwriting more than anything - still, the added chorus is enjoyable, and it does whet the appetite for the full album.

But even disregarding all that, the bonus dvd is worth the cost of admission by itself. The live show's recording quality is far better than that of Peace Through Superior Firepower, and has a surprisingly diverse setlist, starting off with Heaven Torn Asunder of all songs. Aside from a couple rhythmic mishaps on Dani's part, the band is in top form. Caroline does surprisingly well on both keyboards and female vocals, even adding some new distinction to the old tracks. The Lilith Immaculate video and documentary are nice bonuses as well. Given the cheap price Evermore Darkly is offered at, I'd recommend it to any fan. Even if you don't like the new audio, the DVD would more than make up for it. Plus you get Dani's snarky liner notes, which make some pointed and colorful remarks towards anyone who calls this release a ripoff.

angels hunter
Warlocks Arse

26 Nov 2011, 21:35 #4

How's Dani's voice on the concert dvd? Good or hilarious painful like on Peace?

zeroumus0
Warlocks Arse

28 Nov 2011, 13:24 #5

I found them to be an improvement, though I usually don't have a high expectation of his live vocals, which have always been a bit inconsistent.

No paler a rose
Filthy Fuck

06 Feb 2012, 15:27 #6

I liked the new track, very energetic and some good lyrical moments. Am looking forward to the 2012 album, which will include less tracks but what sound are going to be more developed and epic. When there's a bigger update I'll paste something on the forums, all that's really been released are some song titles: 'Siding with the Titans', 'The Abhorrent', and 'Illicitious'.
Also, thank you Zeromus0 for letting me know about your CoF reviews, I enjoyed reading them all, very funny. I had that same feeling of weeping and wanting to be in the band when I was younger and it's nice to see someone else who is still following them despite some of that magic they once had being gone. I didn't see your Godspeed review there, although I've seen your thoughts on it here. You might want to add it there in case you forgot? One other thing, you noted your disapointment with the more simplistic lyrics on Nymph and Thorn, did you find these an improvement on the last 2 concept albums?
Last edited by No paler a rose on 06 Feb 2012, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

zeroumus0
Warlocks Arse

19 Feb 2012, 20:21 #7

Glad you enjoyed them! I actually haven't put together a fully realized review for Godspeed yet. At this point I really need to pull it back out and see how it resonates a few years later. Regarding the lyrics I felt the last two were a marked improvement, particularly with Godspeed - it had more of Dani's fantastic mixture of storytelling, wit, and perversion that often reminds me of the bawdy madrigals. In retrospect, and having finally picked up the special edition, Nymphetamine is excusable as a more lighthearted affair, like he needed to pound out some extra tongue-in-cheek material after so recently penning DaaD. Thornography I'll still say is a mess (I also recently picked up the special edition and revisited it as you may have seen in my reviews), sounding more like a tribute band than the real thing.

Thank your lucky scars has continued to grow on me, and I really think the band is far from burning out at this point, especially with the strong lineup they have right now. Do you know if the 2012 release will be a concept?

No paler a rose
Filthy Fuck

15 Apr 2012, 23:29 #8

That inspired me to give Nymph a spin again, and I agree, it sounds pretty good in retrospect despite lacking substance in the story department.
Good point about Devil to the Metal as the missing link between this and Godspeed, suprised you made no mention of Under Huntress Moon though!
As to your question:
"The album itself is not a concept album this time around (you think
you're sighing with relief!), but a bestiary of songs all revolving
around a chimerical theme. Titles thus far include the following… 'Siding With The Titans', 'The Abhorrent', 'Illicitus', 'Frost On Her Pillow', 'For Your Vulgar Delectation', 'Death, The Great Adventure', 'Manticore', 'The Unveiling Of O', 'Pallid Reflection' and 'Huge Onyx Wings Behind Despair',
with a due date of All Hallow's Eve for release and the swiftly
approaching date of April 25th for entry into the two studios we're
locked in to complete this mammoth task."
The entire interview is here: http://legacy.roadrunnerr...le&newsitemID=172189
Some interesting song titles there. Glad Martin is doing keys this time around, his work on the extended Lilith Immaculate was promising. The Midnight in the Labyrinth tracks seem to have started leaking throughout the net now, and albums out next week. Really look forward to your review of that on RYM, along with Godspeed...

Eenzaamheid
Order Of The Dragon

26 Jun 2012, 21:26 #9

Leaves don't blow away that (a)way.
This is clearly some crack-ass skank in a cheap-as-shite red dress sitting on a bench in Paris.
She's suffering from "missing-the-fuck-outta-my-legs-disease", commonly suffered by the,  you know, common folk. Sick, perverted poor serfs; stuck with their no-legs and ripped dresses.
I may be hailin' negativities tonight as Satanic Elite, or "gothboy", hasn't responded to any of my overly gay and sexual messages yet. Really frustratin', bruv.
And, anywhere you might wander

You can make that your home

Just as long as you've got love in your heart

You'll never be alone

Just as long as you've got love in your heart

You'll never be alone

You'll never be alone

zeroumus0
Warlocks Arse

19 Feb 2017, 03:15 #10

I'd like to pay my penance for not properly recognizing Koen's witty post. Because that was brilliant. My ass is ready.